Monday, June 9, 2014

The Finish Line!

Yes, guys, the Challenge is over for this year. I must be brief tonight, so here it is. (everyone holds breath in anticipation)

My goal was 12 hours. I had 5 books picked out, finished two and started two others. I read 7 hours on Saturday and 5 1/2 on Sunday for a complete total of--

Twelve and one-half hours!!!

As you can see, when the Iron Guy sets a goal, he not only meets it, he exceeds it!

All silliness aside, this has been a busy weekend and I had to find reading time whenever I could. Sometimes it was in 5-hour segments, sometimes 3 hours, sometimes it was 15 or 20 minutes. But I got it done!

As noted, I read the Black Diamond book yesterday, started Heart of a Samurai and finished it today. It's a truly remarkable book and deserves a real review. Later. I started The Trumpeter of Krakow but found it slow going. Perhaps I was sleepy (trying to read at 7:00 am before meeting obligations) or perhaps the writing style is more dense--you know, boys, more words on a page. I'd like to get back to it when I'm more awake. I also started Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze, a story about China around 1909 or 1910. Got into it much more quickly and want to finish. Later.

Thanks, Mother Reader, for hosting. It was fun. And thanks to all you good people who left comments. It's always good to hear from old friends and to make new ones.

4 comments:

Liviania said...

Good job! It's always nice to exceed a goal.

Greg Pattridge said...

Interesting choices and congratulations on reaching your goal. Yes, weekends are busy. I'll stop by your blog again when time allows.

Ms. Yingling said...

Trumpeter AND Young Fu? Ooh, those are a challenge! You can see that I now stack the deck with fun, short books because otherwise they WILL put me to sleep. And hey, you did exceed your goal by half an hour. All about personal best. Glad you participated

Iron Guy Carl said...

Thanks, everyone! Young Fu is really good, btw. I wanted to expand the definition of diversity by reading from diverse times. Everyone seems to read books from the last two or three years (I saw The Great Greene Heist a lot), I wanted to branch out in time.