Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Whiiping Boy by Sid Fleischman: My First Blast From the Past

Hey, all you crazy reader cats in blogville, the CARLMAN has to apologize for not posting as much as I have before. With all these changes going on in the library, I'm busy with a lot of stuff, so I don't get as much time to blog or read as I used to. But it's all good--I'll get on here when I can. I've got several good books to write about eventually, like the first Redwall book. Our family also went ahead and bought The Red Pyramid and The Emperor's Code, so you'll hear about them before too long.

In the menatime, I thought I'd tell you about some terrific things I've read in the past but never blogged about. These are my Blasts From the Past. The first is The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman. This is one TERRIFIC book! You will REALLY enjoy this one!

Can you imagine how unfair it would be to be whipped for something someone else did? That's the situation that young Jemmy finds himself in--whenever Prince Brat misbehaves (which is all the time), Jemmy gets the thrashing since no one can whack the heir to the throne. No wonder that Jemmy runs away. But guess who's the first person he meets--that's right, Prince Brat!! The prince has run away also and wants to tag along with Jemmy. What could be worse? Well, how about being the both of them being captured by two murderous bad guys named Hold-Your-Nose Billy and Cutwater? I tell you, guys, this is a fun, fun, FUN read! There are laughs, escapes, and a circus bear. And wait until you see what finally happens to the bad guys! Go check this one out, guys! You'll truly be glad you did!

2 comments:

Mr. H said...

Hey Carlman,

What a great post, I have been slowing checking out almost every audiobook the Wake County Library system owns for my morning and afternoon commutes and this was the last book I listened to. I was turned on to the book from the news that Sid Fleischman had just passed and this was his Newberry winning novel. I loved it, it was one of those stories where I thought I knew what was going to happen, but never got it quite right. It kept me guessing, interested and smiling...a great test of a classic book.

Thanks for the post.

Mr. H
SMS Guys Read

Iron Guy Carl said...

Yeah, I'd forgotten that he just passed. We lost a great talent. I'd like to put By the Great Horn Spoon (also by Mr. F)on my TBR list now.