Monday, November 17, 2008

Of Pirates, Gregor the Overlander and The Sunken Kingdom

Arrrrrhhhhhhhh me harteys,

Tis I Captain Bootstrap Bill, the Stinkiest Sea Dog to sail the Seven Seas. Me plunder today are two book reviews. So lets set sail for adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before we start however, I'd like to share a picture of one of my favorite Pirates "Blackbeard" (smile when ya say that name stranger!)!!!!!!



Blackbeard fighting Lieutenant Maynard in his final battle!!!!!


Okay back to book reviews, with our first being submitted by The Mysterious Stranger:

The Gregor the Overlander Series by Susan Collins - Out of all the Book Series I have read, the "Gregor the Overlander Series" by Susan Collins is one of my all time favorites. Gregor discovers an underground cavern filled with cool, interesting and dangerous things. Giant talking Rats, huge Bats and quiet but smart Cockroaches make up some of the "Underland" Creatures. Any fan of "The Lord of the Rings" should like these books. Even though 10 to 12 year old themed, fights, romance, danger and adventure made me like them completely.

Great review Mysterious Stranger!!!!! I have not had a chance to look at these books yet, but will be sure to set aside time now to do so. I hope you enjoy the books you received as a part of this review!!!! Be sure to write back in and let us know.

Here is a list of the books in the Gregor the Overlander Series owned by the library system and there availability:

Gregor the Overlander

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

Gregor and the Marks of Secret

Gregor and the Code of Claw


Now I would like to talk about the first book in a series called "The Sunken Kingdom." I have just finished reading the first book in the series and can't wait to read the next.


The Sunken Kingdom - Ghost Ship by Kim Wilkins - This story is about two orphaned children Asa and Rollo who are of royal descent and in hiding. Their parents were betrayed and killed by the evil court magician Flood. Not only did he kill their parents but caused a great flood so that the entire kingdom is now at the bottom of a great and dangerous ocean. They find out from a mysterious visitor named Egil Cripplehand that their youngest sister, Una, who they thought dead also is very much alive and being held captive by a Witch. With this information, the gift of a magical longship along with important information they did not know about themselves from Egil Cripplehand, they set out on a dangerous but exciting adventure to rescue Una. Read the book and find out what happens. I really enjoyed it!!!!!

Well until next time reading adventures, peace,

Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to post a book review.
Owly, Volume 5 : Tiny Tales by Andy Runton

I know most of the folks who read this blog read books with lots of words in them. I offer this book that doesn't use words to tell the stories. "Tiny Tales" is the 5th graphic novel in the Owly series.
Along with the stories is a section called "How to Draw Owly".

I hope you check out this great book and tell your friends about it too.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Gregor the Overlander and passed the recommendation on to a Mother of 4 boys. Her oldest devoured the books and then re-read them, just to make sure he didn't miss something.