Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Competition Heats Up!

Yes, we have a second entry in the Olympics of Reading. This one's from our old friend cyber kid 303. He's decided to enter the most difficult category, the Marathon--in other words, he reviewed Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and some people say reading that book is as long and painful as running 26 miles (right, Bill?). Here's what cyber kid has to say (BEWARE!! There's a spoiler alert, which means that he'll give some things away. DON'T READ AFTER THE SPOILER ALERT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS))

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the 7th book in the Harry Potter series. In this one Harry, Ron, and Hermine drop out of Hogwarts to look for Voldemort's horcuxes. A horcrux is something you can put part of your soul in, enabling you to be immortal until the horcrux is destroyed.***SPOILER ALERT!!!***The last book suggests that Voldemort has 6 horcruxes. Dumbledore found one (a ring) and Harry found one (Tom Riddle/Voldemort's diary). Harry finds out that HE is the 7th horcux. Then they have to kill Lord Voldemort. During the search for the horcruxes, Harry's wand gets smashed by a Blasting curse accidently by Hermine, so he steals Draco's wand. Draco gets his mother's wand. Harry finds the Elder Wand and fixes his smashed wand. Voldemort tries to kill Harry, but it backfires on him and the piece of Voldemort's soul in Harry is destroyed. This weakens Voldemort. Harry finally kills Voldemort in revenge of his parents' murder. He uses the Avada Kedrava curse. In the epilogue Harry is married to Ginny. ***SPOILER ALERT OVER*** Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling was a book I really liked because there was a lot of action in it, such as when everyone fights the Death Eaters. It had a good mixture of action, funny, and scary parts. This is good because it has some comic relief and is not too intense. I really like this book series and really hate that it is the end. I am going to write to J.K. Rowling and ask her to write about Harry's kids.


OK, cyber kid!! That puts you in the lead with 5 points. You're in first place for the gold, but be careful--you never never know who coming up behind you. Like maybe Lord Vader. He's got 2 points but he may put on a burst of speed and catch up! Stay tuned, fans! We've got until 6:00 pm on Sunday, August 24 to get those reviews in! (And don't forget that format--title, author, what the book's about even if it's nonfiction, and why you did or didn't like the book)

Keep the competiton hot!

Carl

1 comment:

Lord Vader said...

After watching some of the Olympics I wanted to learn about some of my favorite sports, so I checked out a few non fiction books. My first one was "Women of Sports: The Best of the Best in Track and Field" by Rachel Rutledge. At first I didn't pay attention to the women part of it, I thought it was just a track book, but it was pretty cool. It gives you a history about women in track first and one part was really funny when it talks about a guy that pretended to be a woman and ended up getting in trouble with the law. It also talks about some of the great women athletes and about how they got into the sport they were in. I liked this one and I think other people that are into track would like it also.

My next non fiction is called "A True Book: Cycling" by Christin Ditchfield. It tells you all about the different types of cycles there are and even tells you about the very first ones. I like the discs they put over their spokes to cut down on the wind that will slow them down. I think I like the BMX bikes the most because you can do a lot of tricks with them. I like this book also.

The last non fiction sports one I read was "Beginning Golf" by Julie Jensen. I have always wanted to play golf and I learned a lot from this book. It tells you about the clubs and shoes you need. It also shows you the swings you should use and what clubs to use for different swings. At the end of the book they give you an example of how to play the game by giving you a story about 4 teens playing out a game. It also shows you how to score your game using par and bogey. I think anyone starting out in golf would like to read this, I did.

My last non fiction book is about Greece. It ties into the Olympics because the first games were played there. It is called "History Opens Windows: The Ancient Greeks" by Pat Taylor. It had some great information about how the Greeks lived, about their homes and tools. I liked the doctor tool page. The tweezers are huge. I think they should bring back chariot racing in the Olympics. That was one of the old games that they stopped doing. It would be cool to watch. I liked this book, I think others would also.

My last review is for a fiction book. It's "Star Wars Boba Fett : Hunted, A Clone Wars Novel by Elizabeth Hand. It takes place after the other one I read where Boba had to escape Aura Sing. He heads to Tatooine in this one to find Jabba the Hutt. He wants the knowledge his father said he could get from Jabba. But when he gets to Tatooine he has no money and winds up meeting a group of thieves when they steal his helmet and book that his dad left him. He finds out they are orphans that have no choice but to steal. He gets his things back but when he meets Jabba he finds out that Jabba wants the thieves killed for stealing from him. So while he tries to go after the bad guy that is making the kids steal he also has a bounty hunter after him. I really liked this book, it shows a kid can do a lot if they have to.

That is my review for now.

Mikie (a.k.a. Lord Vader)