Monday, June 16, 2008

To Our Friend

Hi guys,

I guess you all heard the news about Carl's Mother. Carl is really a great guy and his family is super nice (I know you who already read this blog know this), so keep them in your thoughts. I know I will be keeping them in mine.

Well, I have read some really great Graphic Novels lately and wanted to share them with you. So take a look and see what you think about these:


The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck Companion by Don Rosa - As the title states this is a companion to Don Rosa's "Walt Disney's The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck" (which I reviewed on my 2/18/08 post). This is really a terrific addition to the previous Graphic Novel in that it presents even more stories of Uncle $crooge's past. These stories are ripe with adventure, intrigue, comedy and much more. The tales are epic in scale and just a blast to read. Some of my favorite stories included "The Vigilante of Pizen Bluff" in which Uncle Scrooge teams up with famous old west figures such as Geronimo, Buffalo Bill, Annie Oakley and others against the notorious Dalton Boys; "The Cowboy Captain of the Cutty Sark" in which Cowpoke Uncle Scrooge serves aboard the famous Clipper Ship The Cutty Sark; and "The Dream of a Lifetime" in which the Beagle Boys have stolen a machine that allows them to enter Uncle Scrooge's dreams to find the combination of his safe. All the stories are fun and inventive and just plain fun to read. So give it a chance, I promise you will not be disappointed.


Amelia Rules! What Makes You Happy by Jimmy Gownley - Okay technically this books main character is a girl named Amelia McBride. So I know some of you out there are going: "Bill, what are you doing talking about a book with a girl as the main character in the "Boys Rule Boys Read" Blog Site? Well all I can say is I'm doing it because it is a really cool Graphic Novel and does have some guys in it that really make it rule!!!!!!!! Amelia is a 4th grade spitfire, wise-cracking, tomboy whose parents have divorced and she and her Mom have relocated away from New York City. She makes knew friends and faces new challenges throughout this period in her life. Her friends include Reggie (er, I mean Captain Amazing), Rhonda, Pajamaman (really, a kid who spends every waking moment in PJ's), Sunday, Joan, Kyle (or should I say Ninja Kyle), her Aunt Tanner and of course her Mom and Dad. My favorite parts of this Graphic Novel are when Captain Amazing and G.A.S.P (Gathering of Awesome Super Pals) are taking on their dreaded arch-nemesis the Ninjas led by Ninja Kyle. This Graphic Novel is at times laugh out loud fun to very moving. I love this Graphic Novel and all the others in the series. So give it a shot and tell me what you think. If you would like to get some more information on this series checkout www.ameliarules.com/overview.html.



Marvel Adventures Hulk: Misunderstood Monster by Paul Benjamin, David Nakayama and Juan Santacruz - It's the Hulk Baby!!!!!! He's mean, green and ready to cream anybody who messes with him. This Graphic Novel collects the first 4 issues of the comic. I have been a Hulk fan for a long time and the stories included are really great (lots of action and humor). The first story is the origin, naturally, of Bruce Banner becoming the Hulk. The Hulk has friends in Rick Jones, Monkey (who happens to be just that, a monkey) and sorta in Jamie Madrox, The Multiplying Man. He also has more than a few enemies such as General "Thunderbolt" Ross and his Hulkbusters and The Radioactive Man. This really is a fun read so check it out and see: "Hulk Smash!"



Well that's all for now my amigos. Keep this summer fun and be nice to each other,

Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally read Diary of a Wiimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney. It's about a middle school kid named Greg and his friends and family. Greg and his friend, Rowley, go trick-or-treating,wrestle and get bullied by teenagers in this funny book. (Even though being bullied is never funny in real life.)

It's a very popular book. When I requested it from the library system, I was 61 on the request list. It was worth the wait.

After I read Diary of a Wimpy Kid I wanted to read the second one, so my friend across the street loaned it to me. It's called Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules. It's like the first one, only better!

Lord Vader said...

My family and I were sorry to hear about Carl's mom. He and his family are in our thoughts. I just finished two books that had references to this. One was Star Wars Boba Fett: Maze of Deception by Elizabeth Hand where Boba remembers a lot about what his father had told him about being a bounty hunter. He had to learn a lot of hard lessons and try to avoid another hunter that was trying to get her hands on what was left for Boba. This was my first Clone Wars book and I really liked it a lot. The other book I finished was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I liked this one as well, but having already seen the movie it didn't have the same suspense as the first Narnia book. I'll be reading the third one soon and plan to read Prince Caspien before I see the movie so it isn't ruined.
Mikie (a.k.a Lord Vader)